Re: [SLE] POP before SMTP
  • From: Steffen Moser <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:44:21 +0200
Hi!

* On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:53 AM (-0500), Drew J. Como wrote:

> I am setting up a mailserver using SuSE 7.2 and am using
> the patched version of Sendmail that is available on SuSE's
> ftp. I would like to implement POP before SMTP to eliminate
> any sort of relaying through the server.

That's very important, IMHO.

> After looking around the net for some tips, I found one that
> requires Qualcomm's 'Qpopper' which looks pretty simple to set
> up. Before I do that, I would like to know if there is a way
> that I can do that with the 'popper' program that is currently
> running out of inetd.

I don't know which solution you found. At my former school's mail server
I've got also a "POP before SMTP" configuration. Therefore I've got a
little perl script which catches log messages that are done by the
running POP3 daemon (Qpopper version 4.0.3) as soon as one of our users
logs in successfully.

The mail server software (Sendmail and Qpopper) runs on quite an old
distribution (SuSE Linux 6.1), therefore I use only self-compiled
versions of Sendmail and Qpopper.

I don't know whether the default Qpopper which comes with SuSE Linux 7.2
(I suppose it's version 2.53) is verbose enough, which means, I don't know
if it's already patched by SuSE to produce this successful login log
messages.

When installing Qpopper 4.x (using the sources) there is an "configure"
option ("enable-log-login", IIRC) which makes the service verbose enough
so the Perl script is able to know, if there was an successful POP3
login or not. If so, it writes the POP3 client's IP address into
"/etc/mail/access" (creates a new db) and leaves it there for about 15
minutes.

As I don't know which solution you found, I cannot say if the default
popper's verbosity is enough (I suppose (but I'm really not sure!) it's
not).

If you are interested in the perl script I've got in use at the network
of my former school, please let me know.

Bye,
Steffen