Re: [SLE] CrossOver Office with SuSE Linux
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:10:31 +0100
* Paul Benjamin <paulben@xxxxxxx> (Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 06:53:01AM -0600)
I am sorry I didn't mean to flame you. I can't help but to see this
whole Windows crossover plug-ins is the wrong way to go. OS/2 tried
this and IBM could not make it work. Now IBM is backing Linux and
others are bound and determined to repeat their mistake.

If you want to run Quicken, CD Creator, or in my case AutoCAD then run
Windows. Linux doesn't have to be the only way. What I came to Linux
for is to learn how to program and maybe someday I will make it. That
is Linux strength not as a cheaper Windows.

Im doing tech support for a worldwide company.
You have no idea (or maybe you have) what a complete and utter PITA it can
be trying to solve problems windows users are having.

95% of the time the windows users are using one office app or another
(Word,Excel,Powerpoint and Outlook).

If I could get a portion of those windows users to switch linux and run the
Office apps under linux they gain stability, and I gain ease of support.

However at this point in time the crossover plugin does not (yet) offer all
the functionality I need /we need to get there.

The other half of the problem is that one of our offices is mostly running
large geoscientific jobs on unix boxes (Some suns, mostly linux) and they
need a way to generate Office documents.

StarOffice/OpenOffice falls short in the interexchangebility scale.
Abiword lacks functionality and
vmware/win4lin require kernel patches and are too slow.

I really hate to have to setup a Windows Terminal Server (with all the
associated headaches) there, but it is one area we are seriously looking
into.

(then the only thing left to sole is find someway for them to do their tax
returns under Unix ;0) )

Kind regards,
--
Gerhard den Hollander Phone :+31-10.280.1515
Global IT Support manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539

This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.