Re: [SLE] Looking for ...
  • From: Praise <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:17:59 +0100
Il 14:31, giovedì 28 marzo 2002, Jerry Feldman ha scritto:
First, the C language is certainly not obsolete. Certainly, languages like
C++ and Java have moved it to a higher level.

C++ can do the same low level coding as C (even if it has no advantages over
it). For a beginner, I think C++ is better because it can help with both
ancient programming techniques and modern (OOP) techniques.

IMHO, it is important that C++ programmers know and
understand C, but also that they write their code in good C++ style with
properly developed classes and methods. Both C and C++ have their places in
the progrmming lexicon.

In the very long term I think C will disappear a bit before C++ :-))
I do not think that C is required to learn C++, even if it can help in the
beginning.

I also prefer programmers, when learning C++ to
learn C++, not Visual C++ (or IDE based C++). IDE based languages are great
time savers, but they also hide a lot of details. I think it is important
to understand the fundamentals, that is why I think that before you learn
C++, you should have a working knowledge of C and the concepts of OO.

It is an approach, but you can learn OOP just while undertanding the C++
syntax. You cant learn a thing without coding a little, right? What's better
than C++ to code OOP if you want to learn C++?

Another good C++ book is the C++ Primer.

I really like the Stroustrup: it's just better than the bible, you can always
reread it and learn something new.-)

Praise