Re: [SLE] Partways there (was Re: [SLE] Hello, anybody home?)
  • From: "Rafael E. Herrera" <raffo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:30:10 -0500
This is a modified version of my January posting:

The index of packages for each installation medium is located in:

/var/adm/current_package_descr

The files in my computer after having used the DVD are:

/var/adm/current_package_descr # ls -R .
.:
.S.u.S.E-disk-001.2001100117 suse/

./suse:
setup

./suse/setup:
descr du

suse/setup/descr:
. Kde.sel SuSE-Documentation.sel english.ser
.. LAMP.sel common.pkd info
Devel.sel Minimal+X11.sel common.ser update.in_
Dmz.sel Minimal.sel default.sel zzz_Alles.sel
Games.sel Multimedia.sel en_US.pkd
Gnome.sel Network.sel en_US.ser
Kde-Desktop.sel Standard.sel english.pkd

suse/setup/du:
du.dir

If you used the CD-ROMs, you'll see:

/var/adm/current_package_descr # ls -Ra
.:
.S.u.S.E-disk-001.2001100111 suse

./suse:
setup

./suse/setup:
descr du

./suse/setup/descr:
. Kde.sel SuSE-Documentation.sel english.ser
.. LAMP.sel common.pkd info
Devel.sel Minimal+X11.sel common.ser update.in_
Dmz.sel Minimal.sel default.sel zzz_Alles.sel
Games.sel Multimedia.sel en_US.pkd
Gnome.sel Network.sel en_US.ser
Kde-Desktop.sel Standard.sel english.pkd

./suse/setup/du:
du.dir

Since you want to mount the DVD as a network medium, make sure the corresponding files are located in /var/adm/current_package_descr. The files are located in

/[cdrom or dvd]/.S.u.S.E-disk-001.*
and
/[cdrom or dvd]/suse/setup

Now, I'm assuming you are exporting the DVD via NFS. You should make sure that the DVD is mounted before you start the NFS server.
For example:

1. Turn off the NFS server: rcnfsserver stop

2. Add the directory where you mounted the DVD in the /etc/exports file. E.g.
/media/dvd \
192.168.0.0/16(ro,squash_uids=0-100,squash_gids=0-100)

(replace the network address with what's appropriate for your network)

3. Mount the DVD.

4. Turn NFS on: rcnfsserver start

5. Start Yast2 and in the "Software" panel, click on "Change source of installation"

6. Select "Network" and fill the IP number and directory where the DVD is mounted (/media/dvd). Click "Save and Exit"

7. Now try to install any package.

I just verified most of this on my own computer (except that I copied the contents of the DVD to the harddisk and exported the directory) and verified that it works.

P.S. If you are not using NFS, skip 1, 2, 4 and in 6 select instead "Harddisk" and fill it with /media/dvd.

--
Rafael