[OT]SuSE's Enterprize server kernel?
  • From: Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:28:59 -0500
I'm having a go round with Dell support people about what appears to me
to be a hardware
problem on a 6400 server box. We have 1 slot in this box that if we put
any cards in, the
box will lock up. It's a 33Mhz 32/64 bit slot of which there are 4. We
have 2 of our own
cards in adjacent slots. We have suspected an apic problem with their
bios because of a
known apic/irq0 problem with their bios that there is a kernel patch for
and does in fact fix.
We suspect there are more bios bugs in their board/bios. They insist (as
always) that the problem is not theirs. They say that we have to run an
"Enterprise kernel" to get support for 4 processors. Is that a crock or
what? What this "slot" problem has to do with the kernel is
beyond me. Either way I was wondering if anyone knows of specific things
in SuSE Enterprise
kernel that could possibly help with this kind of thing. I can see that
is is a 2.4.7 kernel
from the info in their site. Is there anyway to get a copy of it without
buying the $1000
package?

Is Dell giving me a line of sh#t. We have tried MANY kernels and also
even Red Hat
7.2 like Dell says they support. We are back to using SuSE 7.3 with a
vanilla 2.4.18 kernel.
We have tried all the SuSE kernels available. I think we have been
wasting time trying all
these different kernels.

Sorry if this is OT. I know that there are many knowledgeable people
and SuSE people watching this list and I am just looking for
advise/help.

Thanks in advance

Mark

< Previous Next >