Re: [SLE] A Faster System (and PC spring cleaning)(and no more windows)
  • From: Darren Harmon <darren.harmon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:20:08 +0000
Hi;

I've been having fun all day.:-)
After opening up my PC and seeing the amount of dust thats built up over the
year, I gave every thing a complete clean out (even removing the
motherboard). I even used the Vaccum cleaner to clean the case out.

Once I came to put back the ide cables I realised that I could have both of
my hard drives using the ATA100 connectors on my Asus A7V motherboard. The
final drive arrangements are as follows.

40Gig hd on primary ATA100 (master)
15Gig hd on Secondary ATA100 (master)
DvD rom on primary ATA66 (master)
cd -rw on secondary ATA66 (master)

This solves my origional question below.

Also I removed my Windows partition and am now running my system Windows
free. It's only taken a year (I've got a lot of games, but now I have a
Playstation 2:-)

I have a choice of hard disk setup options. Which one is faster for linux?

1. Use Two hard drives at ATA66, in which I place the swap partition and VAR
partition on the other disk, so linux will access both disks at the same
time. (ie. opening a program and writing a log).

2. Use one disk at ATA100. (only one disk due to the IDE cable not being
long enough - I have a full tower and some of the drive bays are quite away
from the motherboard)

If 2. then will SuSE 7.2 support the Promise Ultra ATA100 controller on the
Asus A7V motherboard?

Thanks for your help.

I've explained in more detail my system situation below.

I have a choice of hard disk setup options. Which one is faster for
linux?

1. Use Two hard drives at ATA66, in which I place the swap partition
and VAR partition on the other disk, so linux will access both disks at
the same time. (ie. opening a program and writing a log).

2. Use one disk at ATA100. (only one disk due to the IDE cable not
being long enough - I have a full tower and some of the drive bays are
quite away from the motherboard)

If 2. then will SuSE 7.2 support the Promise Ultra ATA100 controller on
the Asus A7V motherboard?

Thanks for your help.

Here's more details of the system.

The above hard drive setup will use exactly the same components as I'm
using now, so they are all compatable with SuSE. Both hard drives (EIDE)
are of an identacle model (maxtor diamond max +) but one is 40Gb and one
is 15Gb. I'm the only user on the system (my personal home desktop PC),
with default desktop setup of SuSE 7.2 (updated to latest kernel, Xfree,
etc).

Here is a quick hardware list.
1Ghz athlon
512Mb of 133MHz RAM