Re: [SLE] java
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:57:19 +0000
Hi David, comments below:

I've had pretty good success w/ this same setup.
My only 2 disappointments are 2 library sites that I'd really like to
use Konq for. (They work (adaquately, not spectacularly) w/ galeon, ns,
moz but not opera or Konq.).

I assume the problems are w/ the sites, but don't know what to tell the
maintainer in order to get them fixed.

Maybe someone else could try these sites and enlighten me as to a way
to get them working.

I tried this top one, with the Konqueror Java Console enabled:

http://webpac.spl.org/webclient.html (seattle public library)
http://webpac.kcls.org/ (king county library)

Console output was:

Java VM version: 1.4.0
Java VM vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.lang.ClassFormatError: WebClient (Local variable name has bad constant
pool index)
at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.findClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:289)
at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.loadClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:335)
at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletStub$1.run(KJASAppletStub.java:82)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

It doesn't work in IE 5.5, as far as I can tell, either, or at least what I
got was a white box that after about 5 mins came up with 'error connecting to
server'

You could give them that error output, might help them. I would guess, tho'
have no real idea, that the problem is that their system doesn't work with
this java version, rather than that you looked on Linux. if you go the head
page at www.spl.org, they do offer a telnet version - but the accessibility
implications of choosing a web catalogue that requires functioning
client-side java are far-reaching.

I wouldn't want to criticise that particular vendor or library without
knowing a great deal more, but I would certainly never specify a web
catalogue that needed client-side java, or indeed anything but a plain
browser, for its main functionality. These access issues are important, I
don't think a public library should make these demands on its readers, and if
I were you I would open a channel with them on why they went in for this
arrangement when plenty of vendors offer catalogues that will run happily on
non-java enabled browsers. Our web opac works fine with Lynx, for example. I
would make this the issue, rather than Linux, which may matter less in this
context.

Good luck,
Fergus

Also on the browsers that do work, I find that the fonts don't seem to
be properly sized, ie I can't see what I type into the search box,

ie. KCLS catalog -> New Search

and the site itself (frame?)seems to be cut off at both sides (I'm
sorry I can't describe it any better, thats why I've never gotten
around to asking this question before.)

Thanks for any suggestions

< Previous Next >