Re: [SLE] nVidia+Matrox=Trouble (Sort of)
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:45:31 +0100
On Friday 22 March 2002 19.19, Jon Clausen wrote:
Scenario 2 "Gaming configuration":

a) Should probably ignore the Matrox card altogether.

b) Could a) be achieved by setting up runlevel 4 as a "gaming-environment"?

c) -or would it be nessecary to go as far 'back' as passing arguments to
lilo/booting a custom-built kernel or the like...

d) ... or something? (like maybe using a 'lighter' WM... ?-)

My experience with dual head is exactly nil, but here's a thought based on
some general X ideas.

When you restored the config so it worked with wolfenstein, did it involve
more than copying back the XF86Config file to /etc/X11?

If you have the dual head config running with /etc/X11/Xf86Config and have the
"gaming config" in /etc/X11/XF86Config.gaming, try switching to a console,
log in and do "startx -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.gaming -- :1" I don't
know if you'll have problems with kernel modules colliding, but theoretically
it should work. Prepare for crashes, though. 3D isn't exactly the best tested
aspect of linux.

Just a thought

//Anders