Re: [SLE] Installing From source and RPM database
  • From: Darren Harmon <darren.harmon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:23:02 +0000
Hi;
I had the same problem as you. Look in /usr/local/sbin and you will find the
check install files. I moved these to either /sbin or /usr/sbin and
everything worked.

Dennis Tuchler wrote:
I downloaded checkinstall, installed it and now can't find it. As super
user, I entered the checkinstall command as root but was told that there
is no such command. I am using S.u.S.E. 7.3. Is there more to it?

I had the same problem as you. Look in /usr/local/sbin and you will find the
check install files. I moved these to either /sbin or /usr/sbin and
everything worked.

Just to let people know, I've been using a program called checkinstall.

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Then whenever you install anything from source, instead of typing make
install, you type (as root) checkinstall. This installs the package as
normal, but it also builds an RPM (interactively, you can actually choose
between RPM, debian or slackware package, and add your own comments) and
amends the database. Then when you want to remove the program later on
you can remove it via YaST.

One slight problem (SuSE 7.2), it places the checkinstall bin in a
strange location, which I have to copy to the sbin directory.

--

---------
Darren Harmon