Re: [SLE] SOCKS and SSH and a newbie
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:58:52 +0100
On Tuesday 19 March 2002 21.23, schutt wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My workplace offers the commercial version of ssh, version 3.1.0 for unix.
I've installed it, but it seems to be choking on SOCKS, although I have no
intention of running SOCKS. I'm using kppp to connect to a dial-in modem
at work.

My question is: 1) Is socks the problem? If so, what would have started
it? How can I stop it? I'm running 7.3 personal.

socks doesn't appear to be the problem. The message is SOCKS *not* used.
Since the error message is so short, a simple connection refused, it looks
like the port simply isn't open. Try an nmap on the machine you're trying to
connect to (check with the sysadmin first, so he'll know what you're up to),
or a simple "telnet machine 22", just to see if you can get a connection.

//Anders