Re: [SLE] MySql/Suse Prof 7.3: Newbie Question
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:54:06 +0100
On Sunday 17 March 2002 17.47, James Pearson-Kirk wrote:
Hi People,

I have: Dell PC with Intel 3 Processor and SuSE Prof 7.3.

I am looking for suggestions/recommendations as to which version of MySQl
(Binary) to install. MySQl give a long list of Linux/Unix downloads to
install eg:

MySQL 3.23.49a Linux (Intel libc6 systems) (9.3M)
MySQL 3.23.49 Linux (Alpha) (8.7M)
MySQL 3.23.49 Linux (IA64) (6.4M)
MySQL 3.23.49 Linux (Sparc) (5.1M)
MySQL 3.23.36 Linux (S/390) (5.6M)

Also listed are details for: Red Hat, Solaris, HP-UX, etc. but, there is no
mention of SuSe products.

I have MySQl on a Windows box at work but, need to install it on my home PC
to try a few things out, therfore am not realy looking for performance
version but just looking for a version that will work with SuSe 7.3 Prof.

Thanks.

James.

Well, it depends on what hardware you have. Intel libc6 is what most of us
poorer people have to suffer with (pentium and AMD).

Alpha is a dead-but-still-kicking platform from DEC (now Compaq).

IA64 is Intel's newest (so far) attempt at being a 64-bit platform and
fighting with the big boys at Sun and IBM.

Sparc and S/390 are the big boys at Sun and IBM.

Basically, if you paid less than, say, $2000 for your machine, go for the
Intel libc6, because you're likely to have either pentium or AMD.

Or you could just use the one that's included in SuSE's distribution.

//Anders