Copying over UTP
  • From: "Rogier Maas" <icarus@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:54:51 +0100
Hi there,

I'm copying some large files (approx. 1GB a piece) from a windows-pc to
Linux via Samba and back. When I start iptraf, I see that I only get about
500-700 kbits/s (currently 315.25). My 10mbits/s 3COM OfficeConnect hub's
utilization meter is almost in the red, rarely displaying any collisions. So
that means that although I have a 10 mbit network (UTP Cat5), I still get
only one twentieth of it...(!)

Is there or are there any ways to improve speed, like reconfigure some
settings in Samba?

Sure, I could switch to a 100 mbit network, but would I then not get only 15
mbit/s instead of 80 or 90 mbit?

Thanks in advance,

Rogier Maas