Re: [SLE] 8.0 Filesystems
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:52:30 +0100
On Friday 15 March 2002 13.33, Joshua Lee wrote:
On Friday 15 March 2002 03:08 am, Derek Fountain wrote:
Or are the advantages more for those who run high-end,
high-volume servers and enterprise-critical installations?

This appears to be the case. If you need really good ACL controls, or
your journal log on a separate disk, or really big file systems on RAID
arrays, etc, then XFS will probably work better. XFS and JFS were both
ported to Linux from enterprise environments, whereas ext and Reiser are
both based around lower end machines. It's no coincidence that when you
have Gigabytes

The biggest advantage to XFS (or ext3 for that matter) over Reiser is that,
for those inevitable times when the journal didn't protect you from data
loss, XFS's fsck is much more mature than Reiser's.

1. The journal *never* protects from data loss, it protects your file system
integrity. Its function is to make sure that a transaction is either
completed or not done at all. AFAIK only ext3 has a data journalling
function.

2. Mature in a mathematical sense perhaps, meaning that all theory has been
worked out and optimized. The linux implementation is still young, however,
and that's where the problems can really bite you.

An example from personal experience: my system crashed last weekend. My /home
was running jfs, which is also a quite mature file system. For some reason,
fsck.jfs decided that /home/andjoh (the directory inode) wasn't correct and
unlinked it, putting all my files (several thousand) in lost+found with
cryptic names. A bug also made 'ls' completely messed up. I noted an item in
the 1.0.16 changelog that they had fixed a bug that made 'ls' loop infinitely
in certain cases, that may have been what bit me, I don't know. The upshot is
that because ls (and every other command involving wildcards) failed I had to
do an xpeek on the lost+found inode to see the file names, and mv all files
by hand. So much for that weekend of rest :)

Conclusion: it's not just the system that needs to be mature, it's also the
implementation.

//Anders

< Previous Next >