Re: [SLE] 8.0 Filesystems
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:08:27 +0000
On Thursday 14 March 2002 4:40 pm, you wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what would be the advantages of
running XFS (as opposed to Reiserfs or ext3, for example)
for normal mortals?

Not a lot, in my experience. Performance might be better for certain
workloads, but which workloads actually benefit from being performed on the
available file systems seems to differ depending on who's review and
benchmarks you read.

I do a lot of compiling, so the kernel compile is a good benchmark for me.
XFS was quicker than ext2 for that on a dual CPU box, but no faster than
ReiserFS.

Your mileage may very well vary.

Or are the advantages more for those who run high-end,
high-volume servers and enterprise-critical installations?

This appears to be the case. If you need really good ACL controls, or your
journal log on a separate disk, or really big file systems on RAID arrays,
etc, then XFS will probably work better. XFS and JFS were both ported to
Linux from enterprise environments, whereas ext and Reiser are both based
around lower end machines. It's no coincidence that when you have Gigabytes
of storage, or hundreds of users doing simultaneous accesses, it's the
enterprise based file systems which work best.

--
7:59am up 9 days, 17:29, 1 user, load average: 0.26, 0.18, 0.18