Re: [SLE] 8.0 Filesystems
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:10:33 +0000
I would really like to see a SuSE
compiled kernel supporting XFS.

So would I actually, but I don't think it's going to happen in the near
future. That means probably not for 8.0.

The XFS filesystem is, to put it bluntly, too advanced for the Linux VFS. It
makes a whole pile of changes required to support its clever features. Those
changes aren't in the stock kernel as yet, and until they are, XFS will be an
intrusive patch. Putting such a big change into a production kernel would be
a big risk, and I don't think SuSE will do it for a while. They'll probably
be one of the first distros to use it though, when they're ready.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though!

--
4:06pm up 9 days, 1:36, 1 user, load average: 0.52, 0.21, 0.07