Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.0 with KDE3
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:53:10 +0000
On Wednesday 13 March 2002 9:09 pm, you wrote:
I just read at the linux today web site about some of the features in SuSE
8.0, including KDE3. I thought KDE3 was still in beta. Is it stable and
production ready or are they rushing it out the door?

I haven't even upgraded to KDE 2.2. I know many people have had problems
with 2.2 and the new qt library, having to downgrade qt to get good
performance again. I am a big supporter of KDE and SuSE but I don't want
to see something bad happen like when Red Hat shipped a custom and unstable
gcc version.

The KDE-2.2 problem was a small cockup by SuSE. They didn't notice that KDE
was supposed to have been run against the 2.3.1 Qt library, not the 2.3.2.
There was a bug in 2.3.2 which was known about, and the KDE developers
recommended against its usage from the start. Once SuSE spotted the problem
(not difficult given the noise that was made) they fixed the packages and the
problem went away.

Regarding the KDE3 inclusion in 8.0, I can't figure it out at all. KDE3 is
still in testing, and judging by the number of bugs being discussed on
kde-devel and kde-core-devel it's just not ready. I haven't even bothered
getting a CVS snapshot to test as yet because lots of people are still
reporting what appear to me to be significant problems. Breakages in Kmail,
kicker's layout and konqueror's proxy handling don't sound like too much fun.

Given that the SuSE's CDs must have been pressed by now, the KDE3 snapshot
must have been from a little while ago. 7.0 was not, by all accounts, a great
SuSE release. I've a feeling I'll be skipping 8.0 as well if KDE3 is the
default KDE desktop.

--
8:42am up 8 days, 18:12, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.10, 0.13