Re: [SLE] (Newbie alert) Reboot after SuSE shutdown.
  • From: gilson redrick <gilsonr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:28:55 -0500
On Friday, 08 March 2002 23:25, Brian Durant wrote:
Neither "poweroff" nor "init 0" work for me. They both shutdown SuSE, but
the computer doesn't shut down.

Hi, all!

A couple of months ago, I posted a nearly identical problem. The difference
from Brian's is that in my case the running messages come to "Runlevel 0 has
been reached" and the computer stays there to eternity; I have to power it
off.
THIS DID NOT happen with 7.2 and its predecessors, only now with 7.3,
therefore it is NOT a computer problem, but a 7.3 problem (besides, both Win
and Mandrake, also on the same computer, shut it off).
Shutting off the computer by hand isn't a Ulysses's job, but it's
annoying, after having enjoyed years of Win and SuSE doing it automatically.
Among other things, I changed the '/sbin/halt' in Control Center/System/
Login Manager/Sessions to '/sbin/poweroff' and also added (at SuSE's
suggestion) 'apm=real-mode-poweroff' to /etc/lilo.conf, obviously without any
result. Oh, yes, changing the kernel to 2.4.16 did not address this problem.

I wish I could be cheery...

gr (in /usually/ sunny, balmy Florida)
"Never believe anything you read, and rarely believe anything you think."
Derrick Jensen