Re: [SLE] viRtual ram
  • From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:22:00 +0000
On Wednesday 06 March 2002 2:13 pm, you wrote:
This used to be a feature on SunOS - if the system crashed (i.e. kernel
panic or something similar), it would dump the entire contents of memory to
the swap partition, for later debug. If the swap partition was not big

Ah, I see what you're getting at. AIX does the same thing. In IBM technology
it's called a "dump disk", although I've never heard of an option to dump to
a swap partition. In fact, I'd have thought that the data in swap space is
just as interesting to a developer hunting a bug as the contents of physical
RAM. It's all just virtual memory after all.

Can Linux actually do a system dump on crash? I've never heard of such a
feature.

--
2:16pm up 23:48, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.07

< Previous Next >