Re: [SLE] 7.1 -> 7.3 upgrade problems
  • From: babu walad <vyav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:42:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi Steven,

Actually, it turns out it wants the /boot partition at
first. I got that resolved.

Now it wants the path to where the distibution is
location. On my machine I have custom paritioning so
the distribution is located, for example, at:
/dev/hda7 -> /home,
and 7.3 is in: /home/suse/7.3

Now Yast2 needs to know that /home is /dev/hda7
and then I can specify the path. In short, I am not
sure how to correctly tell Yast2 where the 7.3
packages
are?

Please help.

Thanks,

Babu

--- Steven Augart <steve@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I believe that it is actually asking you for the
root filesystem
of the system you want to upgrade, not the location
of the 7.3
packages.

When you're logged into your machine in its regular
mode,
type ``df /''.

You'll get output looking like:
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used
Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc3 396500 108298
267720 29% /

This means, on my system, that the root filesystem
(/) is mounted on
/dev/hdc3.

--Steve Augart

2. At some point I managed to get to the point of
specifying the 7.3 location on my harddrive and
it
asks for a partition only. I assume one is to
provide a full path to the directory where the
7.3
is. I am not sure of the syntax. It wants an
entry
like /dev/xxx so how does one change that to a
full
path like /home/download/suse/7.3? Whatever I
had
specified for partition it ALWAYS said cannot
mount
partition and there was no way to abort so one
had
to hard power down.

3. After several aborted attempts to upgrade to
7.3
I rebooted my machine back in 7.1 and somehow
it
came up in run level 3 only! I had the inittab
set
to run level 5 for a long time and somehow this
got modified?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Please help!

Thank you.

Babu

http://sports.yahoo.com