dual boot Win XP and SuSE 7.3
  • From: DSprankle2@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dale A. Sprankle II)
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 19:19:06 -0500
This is in reply to a previuos thread that I lost. I hope the appropriate
reader gets this info...
As I said, I'd test out the dual-boot of WinXP and SuSE. So I fired up the
wife's PC...I like to test things out on her machine first, ya know! Well
anyways, it had a clean install of WinXP Pro with NTFS, I used Partition Magic6
and proceeded to make room for Linux. I created a 2GB partition behind the
windows, and then installed SuSE 7.3 to it, the installer recognized another OS
on the machine and suggested that I write LILO to a floppy, I over-rode that by
clicking on configure or customize, whichever it was, and opted to put LILO in
the MBR. Good News!!! It boots both just fine. I then wanted to see if I could
revert back to using the windows loader, so I wiped the Linux partition and
then booted from a Win98 Startup disk and ran FDISK /MBR then removed floppy
and re-booted, Voila! There was Windows XP starting up. Thank God it worked or
my wife would've killed me, Linux saved my ass again!!!

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/

  • No further messages