Re: [SLE] Compiling Kernels
  • From: "Anthony W. Marino" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:54:45 -0500
On Monday 04 March 2002 06:50 pm, Brian Marr wrote:
Suse 7.1 kernel 2.4.17 Vanilla kernel

I recently downloaded and compiled 2.4.17 from kernel.org.

These are the steps I used. Disregard the capital letters.

1. DOWNLOAD KERNEL FROM KERNEL .ORG

2. TAR -ZXVF LINUX-2.4.17.TAR.GZ

3. MOVE THE DIRECTORY IT CREATES TO /USR/SRC
MV LINUX /USR/SRC/LINUX-2.4.17

4. LINK LINUX TO THIS USING MC - EDIT SYMLINK.

5. MOVE .CONFIG FILE FROM THE KERNEL CURRENTL BEING USED
TO /USR/SRC/LINUX-2.4.17

6. DO MAKE OLDCONFIG. THIS GOES THROUGH THE CONFIG AND WILL PROMPT
YOU FOR NEW KERNEL INPUT - OTHERWISE USE THE OLD SETTINGS.

MAKE DEP
MAKE CLEAN
MAKE BZIMAGE
MAKE MODULES
MAKE MODULES_INSTALL

COPY /USR/SRC/LINUX/SYSTEM.MAP TO /
COPY/USR/SRC/LINUX/ARCH/I386/BOOT/VMLINUZ TO /BOOT

This method uses the settings of the 2.4.4 kernel and prompts me for any
thing that is different i.e new features in 2.4.17. The compile went well.

Brian Marr

Why did you go for 2.4.17 and not something more recent?
Anthony