Re: [SLE] remote starting a java app through SSH
On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 15:18, Eric Carbone wrote:
On my Linux server I am running Java version 1.3.1_02

From a PC on the network, I log into this Linux machine using SSH.

I try launching a java app named CrushFTP by logging in as root and typing
the following:

# java -jar CrushFTP.jar

When I type this line and hit Enter, I get the following:

Any idea what causes the error and how to fix it?

I take a look over at my Linux machine and CrushFTP does NOT start up.

BY THE WAY ...

If I type java -jar CrushFTP.jar from a shell while sitting in front of the
Linux machine (versus entering this command through SSH), then CrushFTP
starts up fine.

What you are trying will not work. When you type

# java -jar CrushFTP.jar

I assume you get a GUI for some application. Some of the things that go
behind the scenes is that a connection to your X server is established
and and the GUI is rendered in your display.

If you connect from an mswindows box to your linux box and try to run
your java app nothing will happen, because your windows box does not
have an X server. It's like trying to run explorer in a linux box by
executing the binary in a terminal.

There are a few commercial and non-commercial X servers for ms windows.
A good solution for you may be VNC
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/), which is free of charge.

Raf