Re: [SLE] splash screen
  • From: Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:32:26 -0500
On Friday 01 March 2002 07:28 am, Landy Roman wrote:
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:43:01 +0100

Pep Serrano <pep@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yet more on the splash :-)

I never could see the splash boot screen on my system.
This is what I get when I am doing the initrd image:

petit:/home/pep # mk_initrd
using "/dev/hda8" as root device (mounted on "/" as "reiserfs")
creating initrd "//boot/initrd" for kernel "//boot/vmlinuz" (2.4.10-4GB)
module reiserfs is
"/lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.o"-> insmod
reiserfs Concatenating splash picture size 640x480 to initrd... No
config file present (expected /usr/share/splash/bootsplash-640x480.cfg).

And yes, in /usr/share/splash/ there is no bootsplash-640x480.cfg:

when i run ksplash it says can't connect to server, i am assuming splash
is the colorful console that comes with suse; it was working fine until i
upgraded the kernel. i see no diff in my lilo.conf file
For this I think the answer has been that you need to mk_initrd to get the
boot splash added to the lilo boot process.

As for the size issue, the size is likely determined by your graphics card
and what the system believes your card can support. If there isn't a proper
framebuffer for your card then the best it can do is use the vga frame buffer
which is max 640x480. You may want to look at the last cfg file and see if
it really is the 640x480 cfg file and rename it. I don't have the bootsplash
tools installed on my machine, and the machine it is installed on is offline
right now so I can't check it.

< Previous Next >