Re: [SLE] [TROLL]Fixing Linux/Windows was SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: Tazio Ceri <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:57:01 +0200
Clint Tinsley wrote:

Christopher D. Reimer wrote:

I think Win98 had a bug where it would crash every 45 days or so.

One thing I don't understand is this mantra about how long you can leave a computer up before it will crash or when you might need to force it down or reboot to get things running right again.

I often have to leave my pc on performing some
very long tasks. I do not think I am the only one.
Obviously you are not obliged to leave it on.
But it is just good that when you have to, it wont fail.
Once I tried to do something long with win98SE.
I did not get any result from my task... I thing the
blue screen of death is a result from Windows!

At a Novell conference a year or so back, they had contest to find longest running server. One of the longest running ones was one that had been up over 8 years and probably hadn't been seen in that length of time because it had been walled in and the only way they found it was pull on the wire... :-)) Most people turn off their systems off when they go home at night or go to bed and that does not qualify as a reboot. As a Network Administrator, I want people to log off and turn off their computers at night before leaving...

Clint

I do not want my pc to be forced to reboot when
I do not want to.
A car which can go for 30km with no stop is just
good for you, but I bet you would be the only one.

Tazio

< Previous Next >