Re: [SLE] [TROLL]Fixing Linux/Windows was SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: Clint Tinsley <cttinsley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:40:56 -0600
Anders Johansson wrote:

So you're still running fat 16 then?! That can't be very efficient.

I converted to FAT 32 on the upgrade to Windows98. I used Partition Magic to perform the operation although Mickysoft provides a utility to do it as well.

And how exactly do you upgrade a hard drive without reformatting?

You run setup or let the CD automatically run. The operating system gets updated all your installed software is preserved but you get the benefit of updated drivers and refreshed DLL's. I use Drive Image and Partition Magic for migrating and messaging the drive partition from one drive to another. I own Drive Image 4.0 and Partition Magic 6.0 and I just got an email from PowerQwest for the upgrade for the 7.0 version of Partition Magic.

And what exactly do you think you're doing when you're 'upgrading' from one winversion to the next, if not *reinstalling*!

I would not call it "reinstalling" because my operating environment including some device drivers is preserved through the upgrade. I would be more prone to calling the Win9x upgrades a massive service or fix pack. That is what I called the first Windows98 upgrade because it was the first "update/fix pack" you could apply cleanly to a Windows95a installation and provide support for FAT32 and USB.

Clint

< Previous Next >