Re: [SLE] Fixing Linux/Windows was SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
On Wednesday 29 August 2001 08:11 pm, you wrote:
> Harrell, Tim wrote:
> >When I tried to suggest that it was indicative of how inferior Windows
> >is he became extremely annoyed

I get the same reaction form colleagues at work. I try to tell them how much
more stuff you get with Linux and how it works better. Today I tried to do a
simple spell check on a windows document in Word 97, and the stupid thing
resized the document and erased it's borders. I watch colleagues at work have
their Excell spread sheets lock up. Yet they defend this scoundrel's software
as those they were contending for God and country.

> I think it has been said here that much of problems are attributable to
> the wet ware at the keyboard, not the operating system, be it Linux or
> Windows. Incidentally, my Windows 98 SE is system is an upgrade that
> started out life as DOS/Windows 3.1, upgraded many times with newer
> system board, hard drives, adapter cards, CD-Rooms, DVD, etc. et. al, and
> operating systems - Windows95, 95a, 98, 98SE, all without a hit, never
> formatted C or reinstalled Windows! I don't think I could have done the
> same thing starting out with an early version of Linux such as Slackware
> or Calderea Open Base 1.x (I have a copy or each) and made the same
> claim...

That's probably true Clint but it's an indictment of how little Windows
changes not a testimonial to its stability and upgradeablity. Anything will
be upgradeable if it has only trifiling changes. Windows 3.1, 95 or
whatever is just rehashed crap. It's just GUI's slopped over DOS. It comes
with the same sloppy software. The same Word that changes fonts when you
backspace.

I am not here to flame Clint, he is probably a really good guy, but it
can't be that I am the only person sick to death of Gates contraptions and
the overpriced crap that gets pawned off as productivity suites or what not.
So what if linux does not have flash or digital camera software or it can't
scan. I'll take gcc, g77 and gdb over the dozens of useless trinkets like
digital camera stuff and instant messangers and flash. All of it cheap crap.
Try and install a FORTRAN compiler on Windowze. First try and find one under
$300. Go now and see if you can get employment because you know how to use
digital camera software. The HR people will laugh at you. BTW I used the
digital camera stuff that came on my freinds Millenium box; crap as usually.

Supposedly America has the greatest economy in the world. with guys like
Bill Gates running our businesses, I don't know how the hell we did it. Maybe
it's true that a sucker is born every minute. Bill succeeded because Apple
was taken over by a Pepsi Cola salesman and run into the ground.

--
Cheers,

Jonathan