RE: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: "Daniel Woodard" <schreck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:23:51 -0400

>It is the SUSE answer, to give an operative system that they think
>they can have advantage of.

I just think this could have been a choice in the installer:

[ ] Personal
[ ] Professional

Then, SuSE only has to manufacture and maintain one set of media, one set of
manuals and essentially have a true "one size fits all" application. The
economies of scale would seem to make this cheaper on SuSE's end.

It's easier on the retail end as well. You either sell SuSE and it's in
stock, or you don't sell SuSE or it's not in stock. No, "well we have
Personal but not Pro".

Those glossy boxes can't be cheap either, especially when a new release
comes out and retail store send back Pro and Personal versions.

Personally, I don't much care, I just wonder if it would be cheaper to do it
this way for SuSE.