KDE update probs - no import functionality
  • From: JW <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:15:17 -0500
Hello,

I have just installed the latest KDE 2.2 and KOffice 1.1 rpms

One thing I'm wanting to get working really, really badly is the MS Office import functionality. But this is the most frustrating things yet:

When I want to open a word document, I can set the filter either to all openable files or to MS Word, and the filter prevents me from even seeing the docs. i.e. when I navagate to a directoy with .doc files in it, they don't appear in the selection window at all, so I can't click on one to open it.

Then I thought I'd try Importing Excel docs. Well, at least in XL's case, I was able to see the .xls in the selection window, but when I actually opened it, I got the following errors:

koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Got no results with [X-KDE-NativeMimeType] = = 'application/msexcel'
kio (KTrader): KServiceTypeProfile::offers( KOfficePart, )
kio (KTrader): No profile, using KServiceType::offers, result: 7 offers
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Found no KOffice part able to handle application/msexcel!
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Check your installation (does the desktop file have X-KDE-NativeMimeType and KOfficePart, did you install KOffice in a different prefix than KDE, without adding the prefix to /etc/kderc ?)
kparts: 0x809ed70 emitting activePartChanged (nil)

This boggles me, since I installed rpm from SuSE's ftp server, I assume that the rpms are built correctly.

Can anyone give me some pointers here?

has anyone been able to use the MS Word import? How?

TIA

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com