Re: [SLE] Whats wrong with a (16 bit) NIC???
  • From: Ricardo Rodriguez <rik73106@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
Well this is a pcmcia device, does it actually refers
to isa or pci architecture?, I thought pcmcia refers
to a different architecture or bus channels (Im not
sure about that, will apreciate it if you can clarify
me).

Now, my NIC will definitelly have a high activity
(even when is my home network that card will be
serving a web server that will be between my ISP and
my router - internall lan) so if that is definitely an
issue please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Rik.

--- Craig Sampson <craig@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If by '16 bit' you mean ISA, well, the only
> inconvenience you are
> likely to face is a much higher CPU load under heavy
> network
> activity and the added trouble of having to manage
> IRQ's etc
> manually rather than PnP (unless you have a
> supported PnP ISA NIC of
> course).
>
> Is SuSE 32 bit? Yes, it is, but I suspect this is
> not what you
> actually meant (I could be wrong however).
>
> Best regards,
> Craig
>

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 05:50:27 -0700 (PDT), Ricardo
> Rodriguez wrote:
>
> >Is it speed?, is SuSE 7.1 32bits?
> >
> >Im not sure about what inconvenience will I have
> using
> >a 16 bit network card.
> >
> >=====
> >Ricardo A. Rodriguez