Re: [SLE] MySQL Network Server Setup
  • From: <dog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:40:29 -0500 (CDT)
all you need to do is setup mysql on the server and set grant permissions
on your tables to allow access (read, write, whatever) for users and
machines on your local lan. thats about it for the server. for the
clients though, you will need to set the app you have to connect to the
database on the mysql server when the app is called. for this, i have no
idea how to do it but assume you do since its your app.

as for granting permissions on the tables, here is how you do that
on the server, startup a mysql session as a user with grant privileges on
all tables
then do

grant all privileges on *.* to user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx identified by 'password'
with grant option;

what this does is give all privileges to all tables user on machine
your.host.com.
if you dont want the user to have all privileges, you can do

grant select,insert,delete,update on *.* to user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx identified
by 'password';

or some combination of things like that. note, for this to work
correctly, you need to have dns or your /etc/hosts file listing ip
addresses to machine names.