RE: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: "Harrell, Tim" <HarrelT1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:56:54 +0100
I disagree with how much easier it is on windows.
I'd say that installs of modern Distros like Suse are significantly
easier than on windows.
Take a new machine with a virgin (unformatted disk).
I can do a default package install of SuSE 7.2 on this in less than half
an hour (the IBM disks I have are v.quick). There's no way I can do
windows NT/W2K installs in that time (you'd need half an hour on the
reboots alone!).
Installing a VMWare client for Windows 98 takes longer than installing
SuSE from scratch.

Also once you have KDE 2 installed, life can be very simple for even
naive users.

The comparisons are unfair because very few 'naive' users buy windows
systems where they have to do the initial partitioning and install
themselves. They nearly always buy preloaded systems with all the MS
software preinstalled.

Also bear in mind that installs from vendors like SuSE have to take the
trouble to worry about what windows partition's there may be on there
and offer dual-host capability. No Windows install is ever gonna concern
itself with non-MS software (ie viral software in the words of BG).

Tim Harrell