RE: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: "Daniel Woodard" <schreck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:25:00 -0400

On Tuesday 28 August 2001 8:22 pm, Daniel Woodard wrote:
> Also, the price jumped. Personal was one price, and pro was another. Pro
> was expensive enough so that now I skip versions. I went from 6.4 to 7.2.
> Before that I had 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4. I was also in a store buying 6.4
> and I noticed another shopper gazing at Red Hat, and he bought SuSE when I
> was through with him. I'm in the store less now.

Expensive? Pro (update) £30.00UK for 7CDs and a DVD plus 3 manuals and 60
days installation support. I don't think so!

I've never seen "update" for sale here in the US, and have never tried to
order it from SuSE. I like to pop in retail and just leave with it. So I buy
retail Pro for $70US when I can. This list is my e-mail support, so I don't
even tax them in that regard. Besides, I can install seemingly fine! It's
what happens next that keeps me up at night.

> What about the middle market- not quite enterprise? I see lot's of
> businesses that use Windows/Exchange, but with the proper consulting,
could
> be reliably using a Linux set-up. There, though, you're relying on the
> consultant to at least charge each client for one copy of SuSE per site
> install, even though thr consultant could buy one copy of SuSE and use it
> all year long for many many clients.

Perhaps that's why Caldera are moving toward 'per seat' licensing.

> Also, everything has leveled- demand for high-speed, demand for hardware,
> etc. The phat/easy growth is over, and the Linux model is somewhat flawed
> because, like Napster, it fosters a "well, everything is free" mentality,
> when obviously, it costs somebody money to develop and produce releases.

Wrong! Linux/Open Source is not about free (i.e. I don't have to pay for
this) software. As Glyn Moody puts it, "it's about what we can achieve when
we suspend, even for a moment, the pursuit of personal advantage". The free
software moment (GNU, Linux, sendmail, Apache, XFree86, et al) started the
information revolution; not Microsoft or other organisations who adopted a
closed source model has achieved anything close.

No, no. I agree. I meant the "popular perception" is that it's a
free-for-all. I'm versed in the history, that's part of what drew me in, but
now what? The world is an expensive place.

Plus, all I can do is buy a distro. I will never be able to program. The
"community" aspect has to merge profitably with the "mass of the population"
aspect at some point.