RE: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
  • From: "Daniel Woodard" <schreck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:10:59 -0400
>And think of it this way, there is still NO product activation!

I hope Activation has some sort of effect on somebody- read Corporate IS. I
won't go near the thing, sticking with W2k forever it looks like (on the
Windows side, I also use MacOS as well- each machine it's task).

One thing though, the fatal flaw is Linux on workstations. I've been dorking
around with linux for years now, and I still think it's quite hard to do a
lot configuration stuff. I could not get my partner to suffer the same
learning curve, so I'm the lone Linux guy here.

My primary job is video/graphics/multimedia production and I feel like, even
by using Linux on our servers, I'm an exception to the rule. Other people in
my position would never go through what I went through to get even "sort of"
proficient at Linux.

If you live and breath sys admin, then of course it's easy. If it's the 7th
of 10 (time consuming) hats you wear, Linux can be very hard to use. I still
"break" things and then have a really hard time getting it to work again.
Lib this, permission that, missing this, on and on. Yeah, I love the power,
but for me it's an extended hobby/passion of love thing. Like I said, others
in my shoes would never go through the learning curve and would opt for a
Mac server, or a Windows server.

Example: I bought Cold Fusion 5 and Generator DE for Linux. PHP is hard for
me, and while I continue to dick around with it, I'm more productive in CF.
Well, CF is very very very easy to install on SuSE. I never did get
Generator to install on the same server. I spent days, I recompiled Apache,
messed with java implementaion (way over my head) and ended up with no
working Generator DE server, and I was worn out. Now Generator is on W2k
sitting next to my SuSE/Cold Fusion server. The windows install was a
breeze.

OK, I was 1 for 2 there- CF on Linux, Generator on W2k.

Yeah, they could write better installers or whatever, but still, the real
world here.