Re: [SLE] SSH & Public Keys
  • From: Richard Bos <allabos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:40:33 +0200
Op dinsdag 28 augustus 2001 20:24, schreef Daniel Prosser:
> You need to run ssh-agent on the local machine to make your
> private key available and ssh-add to add it to the agent. I have
> the following lines in my .bash_profile:
>
> eval `/usr/bin/ssh-agent`
> /usr/bin/ssh-add
>
> This will add two variables to your environment:
> SSH_AGENT_PID=xxx
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-XXXXXXXX/agent.xxx
>
> If you're running Gnome, ssh-askpass will pop up a box for you
> to enter your passphrase when you login. (Not sure about KDE; I think
> it will automatically do this even without those lines, as long as it
> finds a private SSH key under your home directory.)

For kde I created a "kde application/action" that executes ssh-add.
This kde application can than be put in de .kde(2)/Autostart folder. During
kde startup, a window will pop up asking you the passphrase.

What do you actually mean with:
<quote>
> it will automatically do this even without those lines, as long as it
> finds a private SSH key under your home directory.)
</quote>

What is a "private SSH key under your home directory", I thought that all the
keys are being stored in ~/.ssh, with the directory only reachable for the
user?

--
Richard Bos
For those who have no home the journey is endless

< Previous Next >