Re: [SLE] SuSE CTO and President Steps Down
On Tuesday 28 August 2001 6:44 pm, Steven Hatfield wrote:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/28/1422230&mode=thread
> http://www.suse.com/us/suse/news/PressReleases/hohndel.html
>
> It appears that SuSE is in trouble.
> Anyone from SuSE care to comment?

It's true that SuSE has been downsizing over the past 12 months or so. But
this is essentially a 10% reduction in administrative staff; I don't see
Dyroff's departure is necessarily anything to do with their restructuring
programme though.

SuSE is arguably the World's most popular distribution today. However, SuSE
has been more successful in the retail sector and is very popular as a
workstation solution. For SuSE to maintain its success they need to make
inroads in the corporate sector, i.e. enterprise computing. No doubt there
will be new developments in the service area in the near future. That's why
I'm not that surprised to see their finance director taking the helm.

In general, I think that the Linux/Open Source community is going to see some
change in the next twelve months (particularly with Apple MacOS X for the
PPC). How long can companies continue providing free (i.e. no charge)
software vis-a-vis free (i.e. at liberty) Linux distributions? I think the
time has come for us to buy our favorite distro (or rather the media,
handbook, and support that comes with it) to help secure its future.