Re: [SLE] ICS
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:27:51 -0400
On Tuesday 28 August 2001 11:13 am, Scott Parks wrote:
> Morning-
>
> I have been so impressed with Suse installing it for an ISP I am doing work
> for that I am considering blowing away my Mandrake 8 install @ home. This
> box replaced my Win@K box that was doing Internet Connection Sharing and
> failed miserably. The Mandrake box does not seem entirely stable, if I
> power down and then bring it back up to connect and share the Internet
> connection it does not work and I have to re-run the Connection Sharing
> scripts.
>
> My question, is anyone using Suse for simple Internet Connection Sharing?
> How about multilink with ppp? I never got that to work under Mandrake, but
> one modem is still faster under Linux than two modems under Win2K.
>
> This box has one job in life, connect to my ISP and share the connection to
> my internal network. Reconnect if the line is dropped.
>
> Before I dive into the ipchains set-up I want to make sure there is not a
> script
> like Mandrake that might simplify this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Scott

Check out the SuSEfirewall2 script that is available from the SuSE site...
(wish I had the URL but someone will chime in with it. This uses iptables
which is much better-er and which you would someday move to anyway.

Yes, you can certainly do well with SuSE linux as a server like you want.

I'm typing this from such a setup.... 24/7 dial-up ppp with a static ip
address and about 10 other items on the local LAN.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/28/01 11:26 +
"RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure."