Re: [SLE] AMD running too hot
  • From: "Guy Van Sanden" <sienix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:23:34 +0200
Hello Jon

Regarding my problem, there's not setting in my bios to control
the reboot behavior (based on temperatures), but I guess you're
right, that it's locked on 60°... which is ridiculous because my
Athlon is rated to run up to 95°...

Concerning your problem, I think it's bad, this looks like a
typical hardware problem, maybe you could check for a bios update...
There seems to be something wrong, maybe your mobo sets the
voltage to high on rebooting?

I hope you get it fixed.

Kind regards

Guy

Hey all,
Just a quickie - On the old AMD thread of things:

I have an AMD Athlon 1GHz on a K7VZA mobo.

This is linux related as I run linux on that machine - but is
more of a
hardware question.

If the computer has been on for any length of time, there is
about a 90%
chance the following will happen when I turn the machine off and
on again:
The machine doesn't "turn on" - We have power, but it doesn't
get to the
Graphics card init, and the processor QUICKLY heats up![I turn
it off in a
matter of seconds, and the heatsink is difficult to hold due to
the temp].
If I remove the heatsink and cool it down with a desk fan and
then refit it,
then about 80% of the time it will work straight away when I
turn the
machine on... And then if I go into BIOS temperature readings, the
temperature rapidly decreases as the heatsink does its job... it
has been as
high as 70 degrees!!!
Otherwise the CPU runs at about 34 deg Celcius after running
Linux or
Windows for hours on end.
Oh, the case is open and has a desk fan blowing into it until I
get to the
shop for a few case fans! "System Temperature" stays at around
25% celcius
at the moment.

And ideas?

Flaky mobo or procesor maybe? I hope not as I can't really
afford to shell
out on a new one!!! If needs must though....

Thanks,

Jon Jeffels, the Purple Tiger