Re: [SLE] AMD running too hot
  • From: "The Purple Tiger" <Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:22:38 +0100
Hey all,
Just a quickie - On the old AMD thread of things:

I have an AMD Athlon 1GHz on a K7VZA mobo.

This is linux related as I run linux on that machine - but is more of a
hardware question.

If the computer has been on for any length of time, there is about a 90%
chance the following will happen when I turn the machine off and on again:
The machine doesn't "turn on" - We have power, but it doesn't get to the
Graphics card init, and the processor QUICKLY heats up![I turn it off in a
matter of seconds, and the heatsink is difficult to hold due to the temp].
If I remove the heatsink and cool it down with a desk fan and then refit it,
then about 80% of the time it will work straight away when I turn the
machine on... And then if I go into BIOS temperature readings, the
temperature rapidly decreases as the heatsink does its job... it has been as
high as 70 degrees!!!
Otherwise the CPU runs at about 34 deg Celcius after running Linux or
Windows for hours on end.
Oh, the case is open and has a desk fan blowing into it until I get to the
shop for a few case fans! "System Temperature" stays at around 25% celcius
at the moment.

And ideas?

Flaky mobo or procesor maybe? I hope not as I can't really afford to shell
out on a new one!!! If needs must though....

Thanks,

Jon Jeffels, the Purple Tiger