Access to userdirs on Apache webserver
  • From: David List <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:15:26 +0200
Could someone who made access to userdirs possible, on a SuSE 7.1 system
running Apache, please tell me how to do that? I have seen the pages linked
to from apache.org, telling about this, but I find them mildly confusing,
since they deal with setups that differ from the SuSE way of doing things.
For instance, the SuSE Apache httpd.conf contains stuff that in the other
setups are split into several different files.
What I want is to make http access to /home/username/pub/ possible. Access
to the actual /home/username/ directory should not be allowed, only to the
pub/ directory.

I know that it is propably only a Directory directive in the
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf file and a .htaccess file that should be made, but I
did not succeed trying out the suggestions made in the mentioned tutorials.
I have made a file /etc/httpd/users with htpasswd that contains the
usernames and passwords that should be used, so what's next?

TIA
Best regards,
David List