RE: [SLE] starting fetchmail when dialup connection made
  • From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:18:24 +0100 (BST)
On 21-Aug-01 Richard Booth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have two boxes, one is my SuSE 7.2 workstation and the other
> is a firewall gateway Smoothwall using a modem to dial up and connect.
> I want fetchmail to start on my workstation when the firewall box has
> made the dial up connection. How do you automate starting fetchmail
> when the connection is made on another box? Is it possible for some
> program to detect a connection then start fetchmail? In the past I
> used to use just the one box with kppp starting fetchmail after the
> connection was made, but now I have no idea.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Rich

There must be several ways including, if your two boxes will
accept it, for an rsh or ssh command like

ssh [-l login_name] [hostname | user@hostname] [command]

from Smoothwall to the other one.

Another (which is the sort of thing I tend to do) is to
NFS-mount workstation's /tmp on Smoothwall. Get kppd to
"touch workstation:/tmp/ppp_running", and set up a cron
job on workstation to watch /tmp every minute (use

if [ -f /tmp/ppp_running ] ; then ...

for this). You'll need to arrange to delete the /tmp file when
it has served its purpose.

You can use kppp's setup to set whatever programs you want run
at the main stages of dialup (before connect, upon connect,
before disconnect and upon disconnect).

And there must be other ways ... but Smoothwall must be able
to communicate its wishes to workstation.
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 21-Aug-01 Time: 14:18:24