Re: [SLE] How to make UPS working
  • From: Nick Webb <nickw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:02:56 -0700
As far as I know, the cable that comes with the smart UPSs should work under linux, but I don't know for sure, I've never used one. As for the Back-ups office, it's a 'dumb' UPS, if that, (I didn't even know you could plug a cable into those) so a different cable is probably needed if it will work at all.

If you look at APC's site, the should tell you what cable you need for the Smart-UPS 700 to run under Unix, if that's the cable you have, then your good to go. If you can't find the info there, go download and install apcupsd (www.apcupsd.org) ;)

Also, read the docs at www.apcupsd.org along with the readmes, etc., in the package, that should give you some more info.

_Nick

Jack Malone wrote:

Hi nick, I'm runninging linux as a trial on a new server here at work, hopely to take the place of our old novell 3.2 server, I have a smart ups 700 with that cable that comes with it, do now know the number for it. What do I need to get it so the ups is seen by linux an will shutdown the machine if it needs to. I'm running suse 7.2. thanks. Not sure If i will need to aquire another cable or now. also have linux on an old pen 166 with an apc back-ups office 500 va ups. the cable that came with it is a 940-0119a guess that is the wrong cable for linux to see it. thanks for any info you can pass on.

jack malone