Re: [SLE] VMWare, Win4Lin, and SuSE 7.2
> But in relating my problems on the list, someone clued me that if I gave my
> guest WIN98 machine (under VMware) some more virtual memory, things would
> get better. Instead of 48MB (default) I gave it 200MB. (I have 512MB
> ram) Things got a whole lot better!

Two not-so-secret secrets to decent Vmware performance: Windows NT/2000 and
lots of memory. I only ever ran NT/2K in mine until a few months ago when I
found a piece of 98-only software I wanted to try. So I installed a temporary
Win98 machine, and immediately understood what people are complaining about
when they say it's slow. It was virtually unusable, yet Vmware/NT on the same
box, given only 32MB of RAM, works reasonably well (as long as you only do
one thing at a time with it!).

And memory: the stuff is so cheap these days and extra 256MB is within most
people's budgets. I upgraded from 256MB to 1GB last week and it cost less
than 100UKP. I can now give the Win2K machine 256MB and it really is sweet.
Well, as sweet as such a dubious OS is ever likely to be... ;)