Re: [SLE] kde2.2 still does not start ...grrr (solved)
  • From: "Rafael E. Herrera" <raffo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:06:37 -0400
I think I finally figured it out. I had the FAM daemon (package fam)
running. Turned off FAM in /etc/rc.config, shut down the daemon and KDE
started.

KDE will still use FAM to monitor files, but the daemon started from the
init scripts does not need to be started.

In regards to sound, I got an error message about a problem with
/dev/dsp. I entered kcontrol and forced the arts... sound daemon to
restart. I had to start kmix to get the volumen levels on. THE SETTINGS
WERE SET TO ZERO, so it would appear to an unsuspecting user as if the
sound were broken.

I've observed this on other versions of KDE. On start up for the very
first time the mixer levels are zero. An inexperienced user would not
realize that and asume a broken setting. Well, something for the suse
developers to think about.

Rafael