Re: [SLE] starting fetchmail when dialup connection made
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:36:15 -0400
On Tuesday 21 August 2001 08:18, Richard Booth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have two boxes, one is my SuSE 7.2 workstation and the other is a
> firewall gateway Smoothwall using a modem to dial up and connect. I want
> fetchmail to start on my workstation when the firewall box has made the
> dial up connection. How do you automate starting fetchmail when the
> connection is made on another box? Is it possible for some program to
> detect a connection then start fetchmail? In the past I used to use just
> the one box with kppp starting fetchmail after the connection was made, but
> now I have no idea.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Rich

You can put commands you want executed at ppp startup in the
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local file.

ip-up gets executed when a ppp connection is made.

Actually it doesn't hurt to have fetchmail running all the time. It will
just time-out if there is no connection but will keep trying.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/21/01 09:34 +
"We do not stop playing because we are old; We grow old because we stop
playing."