Re: [SLE] CDR (sr0 or scd0)
  • From: Joe & Sesil Morris <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:23:39 +0800
Thomas Bishop wrote:

Thanks for the response! I get the feeling I've applied overkill by changing /etc/fstab entires from what they were originally. Am I right in assuming from what you've said, that the appropriate burning program will mount the drives as they are needed, and utilize the ide-scsi module then? Thanks again,
Tom

I can't be sure ALL burning programs work the same (I would assume so) since I have only used XCDRoast. According to the SDB (I believe I started 6.2), all I have needed to burn CDs with XCDRoast is add hdd=ide-scsi to lilo and change /etc/modules.conf line scsihostadapter from off to ide-scsi. That worked for XCDRoast to burn CDs using /dev/sg0. That was with kernels 2.2.13 at least til 2.2.19 (my present). Recently I wanted to try to use this drive also to read CDs, so I added ide-scsi to initrd modules in rc.config (via Yast), ran mk_initrd, then Lilo. I noticed in the boot that it was now /dev/sr0, which I added to fstab and I can now use it to read CDs as well. Since I believe most CD writing programs actually use cdrecord, I suspect they would all work this way. HTH. I am not an expert, though, so YMMV.

--
Joe & Sesil Morris
New Tribes Mission