Re: [SLE] id respawning too fast errors
  • From: "Prasanna Krishnan" <pkrishnan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:56:39 -0400

>Prasanna Krishnan a écrit :
>>
>> Hello, I am running SuSE 6.4 with Xfree 4.1.0 and kernel 2.4.7.
>>
>> I was installing some gnome packages yesterday and after I exited yast the

>> console I was working on froze up, and subsequently the whole computer went

>> down with the error 'Id Z respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes' where

>> Z is the console id. I rebooted, and this is the output I get:
>> code:
>>
>> Init version 2.78 booting
>> init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>> init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>> init: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>> init: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>> init: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>> init: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>>
>> everything is frozen here and I cannot get to my system. I rebooted using

>> the
>> SuSE cd and removed the gnome packages (gnome-vfs, oaf, gconf, and
>> gnome-core).
>> However, this error still persists. I have searched the internet extensively

>> before posting this. Here are the solutions that I have tried but do not

>> work:
>>
>> 1) Try booting to a different runlevel other than graphical. ie; lilo:
>> 'linux
>> 2'
>> 2) Try booting to single user mode.
>> 3) Try changing the 'respawn' lines in /etc/inittab to 'once'.
>> 4) Reinstalling the SuSE base system
>> 5) Renaming the XF86Config file thinking that it was causing the problem.

>> 6) Reinstalling kdm for above reason.
>>
>> I don't know what to do and I don't know what's causing the problem: X
>> windows
>> or something else (the packages I installed, maybe?).
>>
>> Any help is very much appreciated.
>>

> I had the same respawning malancholy issue some weeks ago. It
>was after I had temperd with my /etc/rc.config by the mean of Yast.
>
> I cant remember how I succeded to change back the change I did.
>But it was there :
>
>#
># First you have to edit /etc/inittab to remove the comment of
># the line with /sbin/init.d/rx .
># Then RX_XDMCP and RX_RHOST must be set.
># After all set "yes" if you want to have a X terminal
>#
>START_RX="no" <<<<<««««««««««««««««««
>
>#
># xdm control protocol: "query" or "indirect" or "broadcast"
># For "query" or "indirect" you have to set RX_RHOST
>#
>RX_XDMCP="broadcast"
>
>#
># xdm host, necessary for RX_XDMCP equal "query" or "indirect"
>#
>RX_RHOST=""
>
>#
>
> If you have yast or if you can edit /etc/rc.config and if you
>find START_RX="yes", that is the culprit.

> [...]

I did not have xdmsc (the package which adds those RX lines to rc.config) installed,
but I booted with the CD, installed it, and then rebooted but it didn't work.
I checked the rc.config file and START_RX was set to no. Perhaps I should consider
formatting the just the / partition (/home, /usr/local, and /boot are separate
partitions) and reinstalling the base? I am not looking forward to doing that,
but what precautions besides backing up my data should I be taking? Is it also
wise to install an upgraded version of SuSE or should I just use my 6.4 cd if
I'm going to do this?
Thank you

Prasanna http://www.bananachipsonline.com

< Previous Next >