Re: [SLE] id respawning too fast errors
  • From: ULYSSES <olivier.lichtenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:20:06 +0200
Prasanna Krishnan a écrit :

> Hello, I am running SuSE 6.4 with Xfree 4.1.0 and kernel 2.4.7.
>
> I was installing some gnome packages yesterday and after I exited yast the
>
> console I was working on froze up, and subsequently the whole computer went
>
> down with the error 'Id Z respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes' where
>
> Z is the console id. I rebooted, and this is the output I get:
> code:
>
> Init version 2.78 booting
> init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> init: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> init: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> init: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> init: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> everything is frozen here and I cannot get to my system. I rebooted using
> the
> SuSE cd and removed the gnome packages (gnome-vfs, oaf, gconf, and
> gnome-core).
> However, this error still persists. I have searched the internet extensively
>
> before posting this. Here are the solutions that I have tried but do not
> work:
>
> 1) Try booting to a different runlevel other than graphical. ie; lilo:
> 'linux
> 2'
> 2) Try booting to single user mode.
> 3) Try changing the 'respawn' lines in /etc/inittab to 'once'.
> 4) Reinstalling the SuSE base system
> 5) Renaming the XF86Config file thinking that it was causing the problem.
> 6) Reinstalling kdm for above reason.
>
> I don't know what to do and I don't know what's causing the problem: X
> windows
> or something else (the packages I installed, maybe?).
>
> Any help is very much appreciated.

I had the same respawning malancholy issue some weeks ago. It
was after I had temperd with my /etc/rc.config by the mean of Yast.

I cant remember how I succeded to change back the change I did.
But it was there :

#
# First you have to edit /etc/inittab to remove the comment of
# the line with /sbin/init.d/rx .
# Then RX_XDMCP and RX_RHOST must be set.
# After all set "yes" if you want to have a X terminal
#
START_RX="no" <<<<<««««««««««««««««««

#
# xdm control protocol: "query" or "indirect" or "broadcast"
# For "query" or "indirect" you have to set RX_RHOST
#
RX_XDMCP="broadcast"

#
# xdm host, necessary for RX_XDMCP equal "query" or "indirect"
#
RX_RHOST=""

#

If you have yast or if you can edit /etc/rc.config and if you
find START_RX="yes", that is the culprit.

Yes! I remember : appalling experience! My YaST screen
dreadfully scrambled evry next five minutes of my /etc/rc.config
scrutiny by a new respawning message.

Not uninteresting too : Midnignt Commander savagely sliced by
the same respawning thing. When this sort of event is due to some dear
Jamie Zawinski facetious savory screen. Yes! But when booting or when
YaSTing it sounds more like a punishment.

Somebody knows a good RESPAWNING-HOWTO somewhere?

O.L.