Re: [SLE] GPL ? possibly [OT]
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Sorry if this is OT. I've read the GPL and still don't quite understand somthing. If I read it
> right I cannot link a Non-GPL closed source app against a GPL library. Is this the case? Also
> if that is the case what about include files. Can I use includes to GPL header files in my
> closed source Non-GPL app? The later is certainly the critical question. It seems every time
> I read the GPL I come away with a different OPINION of what I can and cannot do. It's easier
> to understand than many other licenses but I'm no lawyer. The include file question is what
> I'm asking about I guess. Again sorry if this is OT or already covered somewhere.

I'm also no lawyer, but I believe the situation is that even the use of GPL
include files in closed source software would be an infringment. Fortunately
gcc & GNU/Linux include & library files are covered under the L-GPL which does
allow them to be included in closed source software. If your looking at another
package in which the include files are GPL'd contact the author they'll probably
be more than happy to re-licence the include files under the lesser licence.

HTH

--
+ ------ Internet Access Solutions @ http://www.plus.net ---------