Re: [SLE] CDR (sr0 or scd0)
On Sunday 19 August 2001 07:30 pm, Joe & Sesil Morris wrote:
> Thomas Bishop wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Perhaps someone can clarify something for me. My CDR shows up in the
> > boot messages as sr0, yet everything I read says to call it scd0. I
> > *believe* I have all things set for burning cd's (although I haven't yet)
> > including scsi emulation, etc. Does it matter how it is listed in
> > /etc/fstab.....as sr0 or scd0? Also, it seems for XCDroast to see my
> > atapi cdrom (/dev/cdrom) as a read device, I must also start scsi
> > emulation for it? When I do this, it is no longer available to just read
> > cd's normally (mounted from the KDE desktop link) unless I turn off scsi
> > emulation for it. I'm a little confused. Tom
>
> As far as I can tell (I still use 6.4) and learned, ide-scsi is needed to
> use an ATAPI CDR/RW under Linux. After adding the ide-scsi module to
> mk_initrd, my CDRW boots as sr0. It therefore mounts to use as a reader
> (not a writer) as sr0. XCDRoast does not use the mounted drive (hence NO
> fstab entry needed). I believe it is sg0 for XCDRoast purposes (I know it
> was before adding the module to initrd). My XCDRoast does not 'see' my DVD
> drive UNLESS I have a CD in the drive when I start it up. I could then use
> it as a read source. It does NOT use the ide=scsi module. HTH, but YMMV.

Thanks for the response! I get the feeling I've applied overkill by changing
/etc/fstab entires from what they were originally. Am I right in assuming
from what you've said, that the appropriate burning program will mount the
drives as they are needed, and utilize the ide-scsi module then? Thanks
again,
Tom
--
TRBishop