Re: [SLE] AMD running too hot
  • From: Roman Shakin <rshakin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:28:09 -0700
Hello All,

Well I am an Athlon master, I've been over clocking and modifying Athlons for
a very long time, and I have about 5 box's running Athlon processors... Now
they all run relatively hot about 52@idle and 62@Full it the normal temp
range for me. but there is an outliner in my ranks... it's an MSI Board, K7T
Turbo-R Limited Edition, there is nothing special about this board the only
thing that is different is award bios and some more options you can mess
with, and this really cool red pcb board. And that sucker runs at 62@idle and
75@full, and that it way too high for some ppl, but so far it's the most
stable athlon board I’ve seen, and it works with sblive, something that abit
and asus have problems with, I really don't trust abit now... cause it melted
on me, I had this abit KA7-100, that just melted on me... literally... the
capacitors blew off... it was 750 Classic Athlon @ 925, with a good peltier.
It was my test board and my bios mess around board.... Now back to my point
every kind of board shows different kind of temperatures...

Here are my Test Boards.....

Abit KT7E-Raid MSI K7T Turbo-R Limited
1.2 Ghz (266) Boxed 1.2 Ghz (266) Boxed
TNT2 M64 32 MB TNT2 M64 32 MB
Sblive Mp3+ Sblive Mp3+
20.4 Gig Maxtor 20.4 Gig Maxtor
Intel Pro NIC 3com 3c905c-TX NIC
Win2k & SuSE Linux 6.4 Win2k & SusE Linux 6.4
Stock Athlon Fan Stock Athlon Fan

Win2k 53 @ Idle Win2k 62 @ Idle
Linux 57 @ Idle Linux 65 @ Idle
Win2k 62 @ full win2k 75 @ full
Linux 70 @ full Linux 76 @ full

So as you can see there is a difference between the temps of these
motherboards, we all can see that the MSi Runs very hot... I think it's due
to the core voltage on default it being a litle too high... now I've used the
bios to monitor the temps and the digitaldoc 5 tool to monitor the heatsink
temps... I think MSi runs hotter, or seems to run hotter, because the cpu
temp probe is touching the underside of the cpu in the Zif socket... here is
the technical drawing of it in text. ;)

#######################
####################### <- Fan
%% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%
%% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%
%% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% <- Heatsink
%% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%
%% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%
^^%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% <- Bottom of Heatsink
*******^^^^^^^^******** <- Copper Shim and Core with Copper Goop
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ <- CPU Boad
@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@ <- Zif Socket and Heat Sensor It's touching CPU

On the abit and almost every other board the heat sensor is not touching the
back of the cpu, and thus kinda measures the ambient temp of the air, and not
the actual cpu. It would be really cool if AMD finally got around to putting
heat sensors inside the cpu like Intel Does... sure would make my job more
fun... and accurate. So like I said your Athlon is not hot until it's around
85 Celsius, and then I would think about getting a new mobo or a better
HSF... If you think your cpu runs too hot, I would suggest lovering your core
temp and getting some better HSF and if that does not help and you are not a
faint hearted person you can try using a peltier to cool it down, I would
suggest to get an alpha cooler for your amd... and if that does not cool
you... well then peltier all the way... and maybe a delta fan on that HSF...
but it might be your case... poor ventilation is the key to all heat problems
with athlons... If you have any questions please direct them to me via email
and phone or voice.... I can also be found on rshakin @ toc.oscar.aol.com or
as many ppl refer it to as aim... I wish you luck with your board and may it
stay stable for a long time... long live Athlon’s

--Roman

PS: Yeah I know I do have too much time on my hands...